Firstly the Royal Palace was erected in the reign of king Ponhea Yat (1434), and secondly it was erected in the reign of King Norodom (1866). The Royal Palace was formerly called “Preah Barom Reach Veang Chatomuk Mongkul” that meant it was conveniently located at the confluence of four rivers (the Upper Mekong, the Lower Mekong, the Tonle Bassak and the Tonle Sap). Nowadays it is only called “Preah Barom Reach Veang”.
The Royal Palace is 402 meters by 435 meters, and its complex is surrounded by a high pagoda-styled compound decorated with the boundary strings.
The Royal Palace is a royal residence now where His Majesty, the King of Cambodia, and the royal families live. In a common word, it is like a small town of royal dynasties.
The Royal Palace is regarded as the symbol of the whole nation, and all the pavilions are adorned and painted with yellow and white colors. The yellow represents Buddhism and the white represents Brahmanism.
The Silver Pagoda was erected in the reign of King Norodom in 1892 and inaugurated in 1903.
King Norodom’s successor, King Sisowath, who was his younger brother, kept reigning and decorating the inner wall. And then, Prince Norodom Sihanouk restored it in 1962.